Thursday, May 14, 2009

Thirsty Thursday

No! Not that kind of Thirsty! LOL. As a believer we should be thirsty for God and His word. I will be doing a different verse every Thursday. We'll start with this one (seems appropriate!) I do believe that everytime you read the same verse, it can mean something different to you. Another words, what this verse means to me today could be totally different tomorrow when I read it.

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled." (Matthew 5:6 NIV)

What this verse means to me today?
Right now in our community we are dealing with a horrible tragedy. 5 high schoolers were driving home from a friends house last Thursday night. He was speeding, overcorrected and hit a tree. All 5 were sent to the hospital. The 3 in the back seat were ejected. One died very soon after. One died Tuesday. The driver was released from the hospital yesterday. The driver was not drinking but word is that the others were. The driver made a horrible decision and I can't imagine the guilt he feels and his family feels. Erika and I both teach the Youth Sunday School. Of course, our Youth are also our family. Some of the youth are really having a hard time dealing with this. I haven't stopped praying about it since the news was told. I couldn't tell you how many times in the past week that I sat here and tears just started flowing. I feel for all involved and their families (the driver especially). I hurt for our Youth who are grieving for their friends. This has affected the whole community. All I could think of this morning was how God would want us to crave Him more at a time like this then any other. He would not want us to turn away. And as many young kids feel when something like this happens, why would God let this happen to a child? I had a lot of deaths of friends growing up...too many that any child should have to go through. Now that I read God's word and feel He is here with me, it really is not as hard as it was when I didn't know God. We need to thirst God's word and hunger for Him to be near. Not just at times like this but always!

I know that I need to crave this more instead of the cravings of the world. We all do. We are not perfect so we all at one time or another fall away from God. The difference between being a Christian is that we know how to get back in the "groove." Believing and trusting in God! Reading His word! Most of all, praying (or I like to call it Conversations with God).

What does this verse mean to you? You may post it on your own blog (but please remember to link back to us) or you can post it as a comment. Please do so. Reading God's word and talking about what it means to you, really makes you feel better!!

I feel so refreshed right now, weights lifting off my shoulders! I love how God heals us!

8 comments:

  1. Your blog is awesome...You, too, have a new reader!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! And yes, reading God's word always makes you feel refreshed...for the most part, unless he's telling you to straighten it up....you know what I mean!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS. Chele, you need to check out Allen Skipper's blogs. They are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did and commented. What an inspiring read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just have to tell you what a joy it is that you are liking by devotions and that you are sending people to read them. I have often wondered if this was truly God's plan for me to keep writing...He has led you this very to with the answer...THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart! I will read yours every day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Allen! I am glad it brought you joy... it is amazing! That is why we are doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Allen, I was just telling the Lord this morning that I wanted to find an inspirational blog to read and he led me to you. Looks like it was something we both needed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This verse is so simple and powerful. It is one that all Christians should be clinging to in these days of uncertainty. What great witnesses we are when the world is in panic and we are filled with His peace. Thanks for posting this story.

    ReplyDelete